Do you remember when…?
- Your entire house had just one telephone and the entire family took turns using it.
- When the phone rang, the person closest to it answered it.
- It was located on a “telephone stand” which was probably sitting against an outside wall.
- It was hard-wired to a terminal block, which meant you couldn’t just pick it up and carry it around the house. If you wanted to talk on the phone, you more or less had to stay in that one place.
- Even if you could have taken it with you, it was too large and heavy to comfortably carry around. And it would have been useless anyway since you wouldn’t have had a connection to the phone line.