People have been driving cars for well over a century now, and for most of that time there was precious little we could do with our cars except simply get from point A to Point B. But modern technology has brought newer automobiles into the 21st century.
Every car built since 1996 includes a data port that outputs a plethora of info to a hand-held scanner. This data port is most often used by mechanics and car dealers, but a new class of hardware/app packages puts all the info that was previously only available to the pros in the hands of the average driver.
I recently had the opportunity to check out one of these handy gadgets, and I really like it.
The Automatic Smart Driving Assistant really lives up to its name. All you have to do is plug the small, unobtrusive scanner into your car’s data port (you’ll find it under the dash in the vicinity of the steering wheel) and install the app on your Bluetooth enabled Android phone or iPhone.
Once installed, this awesome device uses GPS and other technologies to do all of the following, and more:
- It monitors and analyzes your car’s fuel usage and lets you know how your driving habits are affecting your mileage. This allows you to make small changes in your driving habits that can save hundreds of dollars per year in wasted fuel.
- It generates a “Miles Per Gallon” report at the end of each trip, eliminating the need to calculate your gas mileage by hand.
- It provides an audible alert when the fuel level becomes low in order to help you avoid inadvertently running out of gas.
- It gives you an audible warning when your speed exceeds the speed that you have set as the threshold speed. This is a great way to avoid zoning out while driving and ending up with a speeding ticket.
- It interprets the codes from your car’s computer to help diagnose system problems. This will be a big help the next time that dreaded “Check Engine” light comes on. Knowing what’s wrong with your car ahead of time will help prevent being taken advantage of at the repair shop.
- It automatically calls for help and notifies your loved ones if you are involved in an accident. Even if you are incapacitated, you’ll still receive the help you need.
- The Android “Do Not Disturb” feature automatically blocks incoming phone calls, text messages and notifications while the car is in use. This is a great way to help your teenage driver(s) concentrate on their driving while they are behind the wheel.
- It reminds you where you parked your car (and you don’t need to do anything beforehand – it just knows). No more wandering around the mall parking lot searching for your vehicle.
The Automatic Smart Driving Assistant has other features and capabilities as well, but just the ones listed above make this awesome device well worth the money in my opinion.
Bottom line: This device helps you take advantage of all the modern capabilities of your car’s computer and electronics system in order to take complete control over your vehicle.